Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year...No Resolutions



I've done all the major New Years Resolutions...I WILL lose 20 pounds (after I stuff my face, thighs, and ass with cornbread New Years Day) I WILL quit smoking- after smoking roughly three packs on NYE alone and getting shit tanked... ( I made this resolution about ten years running...until I actually got knocked up with Lil Bit and managed to quit.) I WILL:

quit swearing (hahahahaha)
go to church more often (still working on this one but making good strides there...)
yell less (if people quit screwing up >:()
drink less coffee (psh- wth was I thinking???)
call my mama once a week (I called her twice this weekend...so there...)


I've done it all.

Resolutions are inevitably pointless. That is making a helluva commitment to yourself and everyone else and using the excuse of a "NEW YEAR, NEW ME" to do it.

I'm all for fresh starts. I personally LOVE fresh starts and new beginnings. New Years are GREAT...

Except that let's be REAL- they are usually just like the year before them unless you have a serious "LIFE CHANGING EVENT" that moves your ass into action...a wedding, a birth, a death, and illness...something that challenges your humanity and prompts you to go "Ya know, I'm not gonna do that anymore..." OR "I'm gonna try it this way this time..."

Humans are notorious for being insane...that is trying the same things over and over again and expecting different results. It's cool. It gives us character and seperates us from the apes after all.

However- I got tired of Resolutions years ago...though I doggedly still made them in the hopes that I would "learn from my mistakes..." or make an effort to take better care of myself- if not for me? Then for my kids right?

But this year isn't about ME. We have LOTS of life changing major events coming up in 2011 that we were hoping to hold off on for a few years, but Life happens and there is simply no stopping it.

Literally, life happens. I'm pregnant again. :-) Roughly 13 weeks along this week- which puts new baby here around July.

To say this was surprising to me and Mr. AGU is indeed an understatement- but as with everything we have encountered in our four years together? We roll with it.

We are very good at having major changes land in our lap...assessing the situation- and rolling with it.

Can we change it? Nope- nor would we if we could.

Can we cowgirl/cowboy up, and handle it? Absolutely.

No amount of resolution making, wishful thinking, or sleepless nights are going to make the next year any easier.

Only thing that can change things is us- with a lot of prayer and even more hard work.

So I'm not making any resolutions this year...just a few commitments to myself to try and maintain my sanity- and raise healthy kiddos without sending THEM to the loony bin too.

We are going to wave goodbye to the shit storm that was 2010 and embrace 2011 the same way we do everything else.


Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment